Numerical Methods (MATH-AD 214)
This page if for NYU Abu Dhabi students who follow Numerical Methods in the 2013 Fall session.
Here is the syllabus (updated on Oct 2).
The midterm exam will take place on Thu, Oct 31, during class (75 minutes).
Assignments. Solution should be submitted by e-mail, as attachments named like "ErwanHW1.m" or "ErwanHW1.pdf", with Erwan replaced by your first name and 1 by the actual number of the assignment.
- Assignment 1, due Thursday, Aug 29. Use the bisection method to obtain an estimate of the solution of "x exp(x) = pi". You may use Excel or Matlab.
- Assignment 2, due Thursday, Sep 5. Prove that the function defined by "f(x) = 1/(1+x)" is a contraction on a suitable stable domain. Use Matlab to approximate the positive fixed point of this function. Give an upper bound of the error.
- Assignment 3, due Tuesday, Sep 17. You may hand it back in class.
- Assignment 4, due Thursday, Sep 19.
- Assignment 5, due Tuesday, Sep 24. Exercises 1.9 and 1.14 in the handout from the book "Scientific computing using Matlab and Octave".
- Assignment 6, due Sunday, Sep 29.
- Assignment 7, due Thursday, Oct 3. Exercises 2.9, 2.13, 2.14 on p.84-85 in the textbook "An Introduction to Numerical Analysis".
- Assignment 8, due Thursday, Oct 3.
- Assignment 9, due Tuesday, Oct 8. Exercise 4.7 on p.128 in the textbook "An Introduction to Numerical Analysis". Answer the questions, and implement the Newton method in Matlab.
- Assignment 10, due Tuesday, Oct 29.
- Assignment 11, due Tuesday, Nov 12.
- Assignment 12, due Thursday, Nov 14.
- Assignment 13, due Tuesday, Nov 26 (updated with more precise instructions on Nov 21).
- Assignment 14, due Thursday, Nov 28.
- Assignment 15, due Tuesday, Dec 3.